In 1917, Charles Nash, who had previously served as President of General Motors, decided to leave the company and found his own. He acquired Thomas Jeffrey's company in Kenosha and began making cars under his own name.
Nash cars were in good demand until the outbreak of World War II, after which most of the US industry was transferred to the production of products for the army. The last civilian model was the Nash 600, which appeared in 1942. It had a 6-cylinder engine with a volume of 2830 cc, independent front suspension, and at the end of the war was still quite modern. Therefore, its production was resumed, and soon there was a slightly enlarged update, called the Ambassador. This model was equipped with an engine with a cylinder volume of almost 3.9 liters, developing 114 horsepower.
In 1949, Nash released the Airflight, a body for which was designed by the Pininfarina studio. The car had a one-piece windshield, and the design of the front seats allowed them to fold back and turn into a comfortable double bed. The car gained immense popularity, and in the first year more than 140 thousand copies were sold.
In 1950, sales of Nash cars rose to 192,000. A new Rambler model was introduced, which had the smallest dimensions of all the machines produced by the company.
Since 1951, despite all the efforts of the management, the beautiful design and the high quality of the machines in general, the sales of hoists have fallen significantly. In 1954, they were cut by more than three times, and the Nash company went to merge with Hudson. The company was named "American Motors Corporation". In 1956, the company developed its own V8 engine, which briefly helped restore consumer interest. However, after that, demand fell again, and in 1957 the losses became catastrophic. This forced the firm to file for bankruptcy and shut down production of cars.