Country of Origin: USA
The history of the Chrysler automobile brand begins in 1925 with its emblem - a round medallion with an order ribbon with the inscription CHRYSLER.
Then came the logical symbol Forward Look, which consisted of two forms of overlapping boomerangs, resembling the movement of a space rocket.
In September 1962, the company adopted the Pentastar logo, a five-pointed star. Pentastar was used on dealerships, advertisements, and brochures.
Contrary to mythology, the logo was not created for the symbols of five branches: Plymouth, Dodge, Chrysler, Imperial and Airtemp. By 1963 There were three branches in America: Chrysler-Plymouth, Imperial and Dodge. Pentastar, as a logo, was used by many departments and had a special design characteristic. (as is the case with Forward Look).
Lynn Townsend, president of Chrysler, was looking for a symbol that could be used to create a commercial image, on letterhead, signage, advertising, etc. He wanted one that would become the world famous Chrysler sign, regardless of horizons or culture.
A symbol of the Chrysler brand, Pentastar was simple and easily recognizable from any distance, even on the move. The symbol contributed to the development of Chrysler in the international market, without the need for translation of any text that was commonly used in logos.
Division logos such as the Fratzog Dodge until 1981 were gradually eliminated. All Chrysler designs used only the Pentastar symbol.
All car brands (Valiant, Plymouth, Dodge, Chrysler, Imperial, Hillman, Humber, Sunbeam, Singer, Simca), truck brands (Fargo, DeSoto, Dodge, Commer, Karrier) and other departments (air conditioning, heating, production engines , marine engines, outboard motors, boats, transmissions, four-wheel drive systems, powder metal products, adhesives, chemicals, electronic devices, tanks, rockets) and services (leasing, finance and Mopar) were identified by the Pentastar symbol .
This combined the various products of the company and service in the eyes of society.
Pentastar appeared sequentially, but imperceptibly, on 1963 models. to 1972 in the lower part of the wing from the passenger seat. It was placed on the side of the passenger seat, so that it was visible to passers-by, a clever method, so that the symbol was rooted in the memory of people. The nameplate must be readable, and the symbol is recognizable even by an illiterate person.
Thus, cars in the North American and European markets had Pentastar on the wing on the right, while on cars in England and Australia the symbol was on the left. The custom was revived in 1993.
The Chrysler brand used the Pentastar version to determine its high-quality status, while the Imperial model used a combination of Pentastar and a winged image.
Chrysler began to remove the Pentastar symbol in 1993, when Dodge developed the logo for the Dodge Intrepid.
Chrysler revived the original gold logo in 1994. Over time, setting the fully winged logo, which was used until 1950. By 1999, such a logo appeared on all cars, although a simple logo was used on the Chrysler Voyager.
In 1996, Plymouth introduced a new logo for a sailboat, which was a simplified version of the pre-Pentastar ship logo. The last Pentastar emblem was on the steering wheel, front wing and keys of Chrysler NS minivans, produced since 1996. to 2000
The Pentastar logo continued to be introduced by Chrysler until they merged with Daimler in 1998.
Among the few traces of this motif preserved, there is a large window in the shape of a star in the American offices of DaimlerChrysler in Auburn Hills, Michigan and Pentastar Aviation.
Many dealerships still have signs or signs and other marks that are seen in Pentastar, where the Pentastar logo resembles the “Five Star Dealer”.
Today, the Pentastar logo appears on the window pane and individual components of the assembly of Chrysler Group toy cars.
In May 2007 corporate e-mail said that the Chrysler, after the split with Daimler is going to revive Pentastar logo in refined form. The new embossed Pentastar was officially unveiled while Chrysler LLC began its private business in August 2007.
The winged version of the original logo of the medallion, Chrysler used on their cars in 1925. The logo was revived for development by Chrysler in 1994. and after merging with Daimler-Benz in 1998, they added a pair of silver wings.
When the company was sold to Cerberus, Chrysler adopted Pentastar as a corporate logo, although a variant of the winged logo was still used on their cars.
Between 1940 and 1970, Chrysler owned brands: Valiant, Plymouth, Dodge, DeSoto, Chrysler, and Imperial. Following the acquisition of AMC in 1987, Chrysler fulfilled one of the terms of sales by creating the Eagle brand, which was sold worldwide by AMC-Jeep dealers.
By 2001, the company became known for three brands: Dodge, Jeep and Chrysler.