In 1885, the son of an Italian grocer and teacher, Eduardo Bianchi, founded a bicycle workshop, planning to eventually enter the motorcycle market, which was done in 1897. However, the young Bianchi was already on fire with the idea to create a car of his own design. Since 1899, the production of passenger cars of this brand in the luxury class began. A couple of models have even been used in Vatican garages. Over the years, sports and civilian cars of the Autobianchi company were presented, which were known only in narrow circles of participants in regional racing competitions in Italy, France and Belgium. In 1938, at the Autobianchi plant, the production of military trucks for the Italian army was launched, but in the evenings Eduardo, together with his four-year-old grand-nephew Lucianno, sorted out prototypes of new racing cars. In 1940, the whole family, with the exception of Eduardo, leaves Italy, moving to Belgium, and he remains to monitor production at his plant, which in 1943 was completely destroyed by air strikes by Allied troops. Eduardo died 3 years later, and his grand-nephew did not want to return to Italy to start restoring the family business. Lucianno became a successful racer after several seasons in Formula 1, and in 1968 he won the 24 Hours of Le Mans marathon, dedicating the victory to Eduardo Bianchi, who instilled in him a love of cars.
However, in 1955, the Autobianchi plant was rebuilt by the efforts of the largest Italian companies of the time, Pirelli and Fiat. It was decided to use the brand as a testing ground for mass production of cars based on Fiat models. This is how the Bianchinn-500 saw the light, which was not only assembled from the same parts as the legendary 500th FIAT. The body design of the first Autobianchi, which was more attractive to buyers than the original model, was also developed at Fiat.
In September 1957, the two-door "Trasformabile" car left the factory line, the body type of which remained the only one for the cars of the brand. Later, on the basis of the car, two-seater delivery vans were created.
In 1960, a convertible version of the Bianchinn-500 was presented, and six months later, a station wagon, which was named Panamoric, which received an increased wheelbase and new four-cylinder engines from the FIAT 600. In 1961, a sports model of Stellina was presented, which took an intermediate link in the market between the expensive Alfa Romeo models and the outdated FIAT models. The release of the model continued throughout the year, during which 502 units were produced.
In 1964, a new compact Primula hatchback was introduced, which received front-wheel drive and a transverse engine arrangement. And 4 years later, in 1968, when FIAT completely bought out Pirelli, the Autobianchi A112 model with a 0.9 liter gasoline engine with 44 horsepower was presented. This model also became the first Autobianchi car to receive a charged version of Abarth. The release of the model took place over 17 years, during which there were several small changes in design and appearance. In total, over a million cars of this series were produced. But in 1986 it was replaced by the Y10 model based on Fiat Panda knots.
In parallel with this model, the A111 was launched, which became the only Autobianchi car in the class of "compact family cars". Its production lasted until 1972, and the whole world saw 50 thousand copies. The popularity of the model reached almost all European countries, so even a sports version - "Abarth" with increased engine power was produced.
Already after the completion of the production of the Primula series in the early 70s, the company became only a "brand of one car".
Since then, the company has been taken over by the sports division of FIAT Abart, which transferred Autobianchi to Lancia, which in 1996 was taken over by FIAT.
To date, the official club "Registro Autobianchi" has official rights to this trademark.